Masala from Indian pickles + crushed up potato chips with vinegar and red chili powder + cheese = sandwich. Yeah that’s not strange at all. Who takes masala from indian pickle and combines it with vinegar and chili powder flavored crushed chips WITH cheese and calls it delicious? Such sandwich exists, my friends, and it’s this odd ball of a combination that makes this sandwich taste oh so delicious.
Now, I don’t know if this is a South African but both my boyfriend and my sister’s boyfriend (who is also from South Africa) grew up eating this sandwich, so I’m assuming the Indian community in SA know what I’m talking about. The first time I heard of this combination, I was taken back from it. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll understand why it’s so delicious. It’s that tanginess from the vinegar, crunchiness of the chips, and spiciness of the pickle masala that gives this sandwich different layers of flavors.
This sandwich will taste much better if you have homemade mango pickle but you can definitely use store bought one from the Indian store. When making this sandwich, you want just the masala, not the chunks of mango.
Don’t knock it until you try it. Trust me on this. It’s a pretty crazy combination of deliciousness. Oh and you must use sharp cheddar cheese with this. Yes, cheddar cheese.
I’m not the only one who finds this delicious. My sister loves it and we got our parents hooked on it. Yum.
- 2 slices of bread (i used honey whole wheat but you can use whatever)
- 1 tbsp masala from indian pickle, store-bought or homemade
- 1/3C crushed salted potato chips
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, or to your taste
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the potato chips, vinegar and red chili powder. Mix until it’s well combined. Adjust accordingly.
- Spread the masala on a slice of bread, followed by the potato chip mixture and cheddar cheese.
- Sandwich together and cut, if desired