My boyfriend has an obsession with sweets, so much so, that he gets hyper from it. I kid you not, the boy can actually feel the sugar running through him and gets a sugar rush from it. Does that stop him from eating sweets? Nope. In fact, he’s the type of guy who will go to Dunkin Donuts, order 2 chocolate glazed donuts and coffee with cream and sugar. When I mean “type of guy”, I mean, he usually does this when he gets hungry at work. It doesn’t help the fact that there’s a DD right across from his work building.
A couple weeks ago, me being nice and all, I decided to bake some muffins for him. I had to make them eggless since we’re both doing Shravan this month and are not eating meat, fish, and eggs (unless if it’s baked into stuff). If we’re at a restaurant, we can’t be picky and ask if they have eggless desserts but if I’m baking at home, I avoid it during this month.
What made them moist? Yoghurt and vinegar. Nope, you cannot taste either of them. Oh and did I mention that I added chocolate chips to it too? Yep, that kept it even more moist and super chocolatey. Honestly, this sweet is a cross between muffin and cupcake (without the icing)..so, it’s a muffcake? New invention! I called it.
You could totally make this vegan by subbing the yoghurt with vegan yoghurt and vegan chocolate chips. It’ll still turn out amazing. You could sub the AP flour with WW flour. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m sure it’ll turn out okay.
If any of you are wondering..Shravan ends on Thursday. Food Truck Friday and date night on Sunday. Things will get ugly.
- 1C plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp corn flour (corn starch)
- 1/4C unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
- 1/2C white sugar
- 1/4C neutral flavored oil
- 1/2C plain yoghurt (I used low fat but you could use nonfat or full fat)
- 1/4C water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp vinegar (i used apple cider but you could use white)
- 1/4C-1/2C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, corn flour). Mix well. I got lazy and just used a whisk instead of sifting, to remove the lumps.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, yoghurt, sugar, vinegar, vanilla essence, and water. Mix well to remove any lumps.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and scoop batter into each liner, about 3/4 of the way or all the way, like how I did because I don’t know how to measure at times. Oops. Still turned out fine, so don’t worry 🙂
- For aesthetic purposes, I sprinkled additional chocolate chips onto each cup, but that’s completely up to you.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the liner for 5 minutes and then transfer them onto a cooling rack