I love crazy drinks. Yeah, I like my whiskey sours, gin & tonic, and vodka & club soda with lime but if I see something bizarre on the menu, I’ll more than likely try it. For example, I would totally try Daddy-O’s Cilantro Mojito, if I had the chance. Then again, my boyfriend calls me an odd ball for liking Pozole’s jalapeño margarita. It’s so weird yet so good.
My first obsession with cucumber cocktails was when I was at a cafe in Atlanta. On their drink menu, they had a cucumber martini and I just had to have it! It was so cooling and refreshing that I’ve been hooked ever since. Of course, my boyfriend, once again, thinks I’m an oddball to like a cucumber martini but, trust me, it’s delicious!
A couple days ago, I was craving a drink that had cucumber in it. Lo and behold, I saw in my fridge that we had 1 cucumber in the fridge. Brilliant! Why spend that extra $10 for cucumber infused vodka when I can just make my own for cheap?! Then I saw ginger in the fridge-even better! I’ll just combine the 2 and make a delicious ginger and cucumber infused vodka! I only had a couple cups of vodka left but it still turned out amazing! Of course, if you have a full bottle, just double the amount of cucumber and ginger :). Let me tell you, the vodka fizz I made from that was delicious! Moments like this where I wish it was still summer because this is the drink to have when you’re feeling hot and sweaty. Oh and yes, the cocktail drink recipe is also included below :).
Cucumber and Ginger Infused Vodka
- 2 1/2 cups of vodka. I used 3 olives Vodka but you can use whatever
- 1 kirby cucumber, diced
- 2″ ginger, peeled, and chopped
- Combine the cucumber, ginger, and vodka in a non-reactive jar
- Mix an allow it to sit for up to an hour before use. I put it in the fridge for a couple hours but the longer it sits (at least 48 hours), the better it tastes
- Once it’s up to your liking, strain the cucumber and ginger and discard it. Can be good for up to a week. Not sure since it didn’t last long for me :p
Cucumber and Ginger Sparkler
- 1.5 oz of cucumber and ginger infused vodka
- 1 tbsp simple syrup *see note below
- 1 tbsp meyer lemon. Regular lemon can be used if you can’t find meyer lemon
- Splash of seltzer or sparkling water
Note: Combine 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar (I used Truvia to make it skinny) in a sauce pain. Bring to a simmer for 10 mins and allow to cool.
- In a shaker, combine ice, seltzer or sparkling water, simple syrup, lemon juice, and vodka.
- Shake for about 10 seconds
- Pour it into a glass, over ice, and garnish with a slice of lemon