I’m probably going to get the look but I have a slight confession to make–I’m not a fan of sweet oatmeal. *gasp* Yep, it’s true. Don’t ask me why but I just don’t. I love sweet stuff but if you put a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, milk, and fruit, I’ll walk away. However, I do love savory oatmeal :).
This recipe is adapted from my mother’s oatmeal/grits recipe. During fasting time, my grandmothers would make a dish involving samo seeds. Samo seeds are seeds that come from a wild grass. This dish is usually is made yogurt and lots of red chili powder. However, this dish does take some time to make so a quick way my mother learned was by using instant grits. She would add a bit more water than what the box would say and add red chili powder and yogurt into it. Typically, you would top this samo seeds with indian potato wafers but my mom used corn flakes for that added crunch. You can do the same thing with oatmeal, which is what she’s been using recently. It’s really good, filling, and healthy. Er, well, even though it’s instant oatmeal, you’re not adding any other fat into it like butter. Well, yeah.
I took my mom’s recipes and made it more “southwestern.” You top off the oatmeal with tabasco sauce, cheese, and jalapeños! This has been my go to breakfast the past week. It’s really addicting and so easy to make. Honestly, this is the ideal breakfast to have if you want something with a kick in the morning but don’t have enough time on your plate. I’m actually pretty embarrassed to say just how easy it is to make! Oh and if you’re wondering why the oatmeal looks red-it’s because I added a bit more tabasco sauce than the average person. As my boyfriend claims, I’m a psycho spicy eater :). You definitely don’t have to make it that red..well, unless if you’re in an adventurous mood that is 😉
- 1 packet of instant plain oatmeal. I used organic instant oatmeal but you can use whatever. Make sure it’s plain!
- A little less than 1 cup of water
- 1.5 tbsp of plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to your taste
- Half a jalapeño, finely diced. I didn’t deseed it but if you want a mild taste, then definitely deseed it
- 2 tbsp of shredded cheese. I used 2% mild cheddar but you can use whatever you have
- Tabasco sauce, to your taste
- Small handful of corn flakes, optional. I use it for a crunch factor but to also thicken it a tad if it’s a bit too watery
- In a bowl or large glass measuring cup (which is what I use), combine water, yogurt, salt, pepper, and oatmeal. Mix well.
- Pop it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it, however, because, depending on your microwave setting, it might over spill.
- Stir the oatmeal again and combine the cheese, jalapeno, tabasco sauce, and corn flakes.
- Stir again and eat immediately!